In Canada, an increasing number of people are managing concerns related to both cancer and aging. We, as oncology nurses, are often uniquely positioned to address these concerns.
The purpose of the Oncology & Aging (Geriatric) SIG is to create a national forum to:
- Advocate for the optimal care of older adults with cancer and their caregivers, drawing awareness to their unique strengths, needs, and concerns within CANO initiatives and beyond.
- Identify, develop, and share tools and resources that support knowledge and skill in caring for older adults with cancer and their caregivers.
- Initiate projects to strengthen the care of older adults with cancer and their families, driven by issues, needs, and trends identified by our members.
- Highlight the critical role of nurses in optimizing the care of older adults with cancer and their families within interprofessional and interdisciplinary care teams.
- Promote Geriatric Oncology Nursing as a sub-specialty that strives to integrate expertise in cancer care and geriatrics, developing CANO standards and competencies for this sub-specialty.
- Collaborate with other national and international organizations which strive to strengthen the care of older adults with cancer.
Oncology & Aging SIG Resources for CANO/ACIO Members
Click here to access the CANO/ACIO members-only site to learn more about this special interest group, network with other nurses and share/access resources.
Last Updated: December 6, 2018