Oncology & Aging Special Interest Group (SIG)
In Canada, an increasing number of people are managing concerns related to both cancer and aging. We, as oncology nurses, are often uniquely positioned to address these concerns.
The purpose of the Oncology & Aging (Geriatric) SIG is to create a national forum to:
- Advocate for the optimal care of older adults with cancer and their caregivers, drawing awareness to their unique strengths, needs, and concerns within CANO initiatives and beyond.
- Identify, develop, and share tools and resources that support knowledge and skill in caring for older adults with cancer and their caregivers.
- Initiate projects to strengthen the care of older adults with cancer and their families, driven by issues, needs, and trends identified by our members.
- Highlight the critical role of nurses in optimizing the care of older adults with cancer and their families within interprofessional and interdisciplinary care teams.
- Promote Geriatric Oncology Nursing as a sub-specialty that strives to integrate expertise in cancer care and geriatrics, developing CANO standards and competencies for this sub-specialty.
- Collaborate with other national and international organizations which strive to strengthen the care of older adults with cancer.
Oncology & Aging SIG Resources for CANO/ACIO Members
Click here to access the CANO/ACIO members-only site to learn more about this special interest group, network with other nurses and share/access resources.
Last Updated: December 6, 2018